Making Homelessness Brief, Rare, and Non-Recurring in Yellowstone County
Who We Are:
- A coalition of leaders joining forces to re-imagine our homeless response!
- Change the Status Quo
- Of how we address homelessness from isolated and competitive to coordinated and effective.
- Assess & Plan
- Together to create effective and efficient action that combines our strengths. A robust assessment and shared planning is currently in progress.
- Share Data
- In meaningful ways to guide action. Current data sharing includes a Data Dashboard and use of the Pathways system.
- Optimize Efforts
- By working together in a manner that combines our strengths, reaches more people, and saves more money.
Working together from data, we are housing our most vulnerable:
- “Front Door” agencies assess anyone in need (whether their client or not) in order to break down barriers and serve more people.
- A comprehensive list of housing provides a clear view of resources.
- A shared database keeps agencies connected and working together.
- Case Conferencing takes place every other week to prioritize our most vulnerable and house them first.
- Developed and secured funding for a diversion fund.
- Provides rental assistance and other needs to prevent homelessness.
- Gives people a hand up during crisis to get them back on their feet before the situation spirals out of control.
- Diversion has been shown to not only help individuals but to also save tax payer money and reduce the burden on social systems.
Housing is Healthcare
- A new grant project through Montana Healthcare Foundation.
- Involves assessment, planning, and coordination to support homeless persons who are also high utilizers of local services.
- Reduces the burden on social and safety systems while saving money long-term.
Key CoC Partners
- The Billings CoC is widely supported by the community.
- Key Leadership Team members include:
Alternatives Inc. – Besaw Integrity Consulting – Billings Clinic – Billings Housing Authority - City of Billings – Community Crisis Center – District 7 HRDC – Downtown Billings Alliance - Mental Health Center – MT Dept. of Corrections, Probation & Parole Division – Mary Underriner - Montana Rescue Mission – Rimrock Foundation – RiverStone Health – St. Vincent Healthcare – Tumbleweed – Volunteers of America (VOA) – YWCA – St. Vincent DePaul – Yellowstone County
- United Way of Yellowstone County Serves as the Backbone
- The CoC values community collaboration and supports other coalitions; including Community Innovations and Substance Abuse Connect.