Explorer's Academy is using their Go Grant to fund a year-long campaign to increase parent participation and investment in their child's education through volunteerism.
About Explorers Academy-Head Start
- A non-profit preschool providing comprehensive services to low-income children and their families to achieve school readiness and life-long success.
- Academic Education
- Social/Emotional Education
- Health and Mental Health Services
- Family Services
- Explorers Academy serves 368 children and their families in Yellowstone County who are low-income, homeless, in foster care or have special needs.
- Four sites located in Billings, Lockwood and Laurel.
School Readiness Starts with Family
- Explorers Academy's year-long School Readiness Starts with Family campaign is designed to increase parent participation in school readiness and education
- Parents are a child’s first and most important teacher.
- A 2018 study showed low income parents are less likely to be involved in their child’s education making this campaign crucial to the children they serve.
- Prepares children, and the whole family, for kindergarten.
- School readiness is a crucial indicator of school success!
- During the 2019-2020 school year, parents will earn tickets for prizes every time they participate in specified opportunities.
- Working in classrooms
- Helping with teacher prep projects
- Helping at events
- Attending Policy Council and Parent Committee meetings
- Attending educational classes provided by the program
- Select educational activities at home
- Parent/teacher conferences
- Kindergarten tours